Progress

I was born in a sea of whiteness
walking into spaces; I was the brown elephant in the room
no time to play around with a ball
5 years felt like five months
I would look around
so much beauty
from the crystal blue oceans
to the perfectly aligned Palm Trees that weren't even ours
from the gorgeous two story houses with the nice front porch
to the pretty white kids playing around on perfectly trimmed green grass
Walking through, society seems so perfect
Newport Beach,
A typical white suburbia where you're surrounded by so many scenic views
yet you feel so alone in it

A place where you outsource your healing
rather than finding a community that would bring empathy
rather than acknowledge your skin color
they chose to avoid it or profile you
though I left, I hoped from one bubble to another
But I found a community through it
that allow me to feel however I want to feel
and to give me the power to choose my own autonomy
I now grow to 20 years and still managing to survive
through all that has happened
to me and my family around
I am still a work in progress
I am still navigating and creating
trying to sculpture the person who I am going to be

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Femmehood

Loss

Honest