A Black Hairy Girl fulfilling the diversity Quota for a Few Days in Oregon Day 1

As I drove up through an endless sea of Redwood trees, picturesque views of Mount Shasta, and stopping by the one Del Taco on the way because I was craving LA/OC nostalgia, my hairy black femme ass finally arrived in Ashland Oregon. A town of 1920s bungalows in which I want to turn them all into tiny houses on wheels, tree-lined streets, and two black folks (from my view); one of them made a transphobic comment about my leggings and my purse, however, I can't help but trigger the desires of men! It was gorgeous, a town where you see old hippies the left of you and college students to the right. A town where I could honestly just feel settled in and fulfill the diversity quota. Views of Mount Ashland with a top layer of snow on top, green pastures, and hills with infinite redwoods on top. From the endless amount of microbreweries who like to pride themselves on making the best chicken wings (do they want a metal for mediocrity), I went and got Ramen on a night that was 39 degrees. The spiciness from the broth and the creaminess from the seasoned egg was good for what it felt like a chilly winter night. Through all this, I have been processing the past few weeks. Learning to own up and take accountability as well as starting the process and letting things go. Being alone allows you to be with your thoughts and actually feel where you are at. I am hoping for this trip is that I can get a few steps closer to understanding my grad school future and the ways in which I can let go. I am heading off to my destination tomorrow, Portland so I can fully immerse in the weirdness and whiteness. To yet again, fill in the diversity quota that is missing in the state. Until the next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Femmehood

Loss

Honest